Q & A details - What kind of welder should I buy for welding angle iron?
Your current position: Tech Community > Answer > Q & A details

What kind of welder should I buy for welding angle iron?

1 answer Reward0 Question has Expired

Im planning on welding trailer frames, i would like to be able to weld thicker metal later, i was looking at ark and mig welders, and i wanted to know how many amps and volts to get. I will be welding 1/8" to 3/16" angle iron i think, i don't really know yet. 

Other answers

  • 0861788249

    0861788249 2017-01-20 10:03:46

    get an arc welder that has at least 200 amps dc a name brand such as lincoln miller etc practice with the 6013 switch to 7018 for higher strength mig welds are strong but brittle they will break without warning if overloaded and yes i know a lot of shops use the mig on everything but if they see what i see all of the time they wouldn,t arc welds will usually start cracking before they fail on the lighter metals you are talking about the mig would be ok or if you plan to do any aluminum welding but if you want to go to heavier metal later the arc welder is better most of my welding is done on 3/4 inch or thicker metal i will use my mig if it is nonstructural if you think what i say about a mig is not true try fillet welds on 1/4 inch plate then bend them

    [ More ] [ Close ]


Member login

Forgot password?

Join free

Reset Your Password


SMS code:

Send Code

New Password: